This green healthy salad is easy to prepare, filling, tasty and contains so many of my favorite ingredients.
It’s gluten-free and full of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, fibers and protein.
I was going to make a lemon-poppy seed dressing but then I decided to replace the poppy seeds for chia seeds. You get the same look and crunch that you would get with poppy seeds, plus the added benefit of Omega-3 fatty acids. If you like a sweeter dressing, adjust the honey to your taste. To make the green healthy salad vegan, replace the honey with maple syrup or agave.
You have to remove the stems from the kale. Fold each leaf in half and use a knife to cut out the center stem.
Kale can be tough and bitter. Toss the kale into a bowl and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil. Massage the kale with your fingers to bring out the sweetness and make it more tender and digestible.
Make sure that you rinse the quinoa before cooking. The rinsing helps getting rid of the bitterness.
Enjoy this fresh and nutritious green healthy salad!
♥ Let’s keep in touch! ♥ Follow Chilly Frosting on :
- For the salad
- 100 grams (1 cup) uncooked quinoa
- 200 ml (3/4 cup+1 tablespoon) water
- 200 grams (1⅓ cup) frozen peas
- 60 grams (1 cup) kale, center stem discarded, leaves thinly sliced
- 10 grams (1/3 cup) fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (to massage the kale)
- 50 grams (1/2 cup) walnuts
- For the dressing
- the juice of ½ lemon
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt (more to taste)
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon honey (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon chia seed
- In a strainer, rinse the quinoa well and drain. In a small saucepan, combine the quinoa with water.
- Bring to a boil uncovered. When it starts to boil, turn the heat down to the lowest setting, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is light and fluffy.
- While the quinoa is simmering away prepare the other ingredients for the green healthy salad.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and then turn off the heat. Add the peas and leave them in the water for 5 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Wash, cut out the ribs and thinly slice the kale leaves.
- Put 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil over the kale and use your hands to massage the leaves by lightly scrunching them in your hands. Release and repeat until the leaves soften and the color changes a bit.
- Finely chop the mint leaves.
- Prepare the dressing: take a small glass jar with a lid and combine the lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, honey, salt, pepper and chia seeds.
- Shake all ingredients until well-blended.
- Put the cooled quinoa in a large bowl, add the kale, peas, mint and walnuts.
- Pour the dressing over your green healthy salad just before serving.
Are you looking for more quinoa recipes? Here are a couple of bloggers who have great recipes to share with you: