This moist chocolate cake has no eggs, no butter and you can make it with just a wooden spoon or a whisk. It’s the easiest cake I’ve ever come across.
It’s very moist and doesn’t need a filling, I simply sprinkle powdered sugar over the top. But if you wish you can fill it with a chocolate ganache, chocolate pastry cream or jam.
I saw many different versions of the recipe: white flavored in various ways, with soy milk, dark chocolate instead of cocoa, yogurt instead of milk , nuts, coconut, etc.
The recipe calls for 450 ml of milk. I used 300 ml of skimmed milk and 150 ml of freshly squeezed orange juice. I had candied orange peels ready to be put in the batter but I forgot them on the table.
The cake will not grow much during cooking, that’s why even if the recipe is for a 24 cm (9 inches) pan I used a 18 cm (7 inches) pan.
Don’t overmix the batter otherwise the cake will be dense and heavy.
With this recipe I made the double chocolate chip muffins! These muffins are to die for!!!
Recipe adapted from Cookaround
♥ Let’s keep in touch! ♥ Follow Chilly Frosting on :
- 200 grams (1½ cup+2 tablespoons) flour, sifted
- 200 grams (1 cup) granulated sugar
- 75 grams (2/3 cup + 1 tablespoon) cocoa powder, sifted
- 16 grams (4 teaspoons) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, grated
- 150 ml (2/3 cup minus 1 tablespoon) freshly squeezed orange juice
- 300 ml (1¼ cup) milk (I used skimmed milk but you can use full fat milk).
- 35 grams (3½ tablespoons) vegetable oil
- Icing sugar (powder sugar) for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees C (338 degrees F).
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, orange zest and baking powder.
- Add the milk, vegetable oil and orange juice.
- Using a wooden spoon or a whisk, mix all together until it is combined. Don't over-mix!!!
- Pour into a greased and floured 24 cm (9 inches) pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack and when it's completely cool dust with icing sugar.