I prepared this focaccia with cherry tomatoes and olives today for lunch. I like to serve focaccia with salads, as an accompaniment to a bowl of soup or just the way it is.
Focaccia dough is similar to pizza dough although focaccia has more olive oil and it’s usually topped with sea salt, herbs or vegetables.
I made it with half all-purpose flour and half durum wheat flour. If you don’t have durum wheat flour you can use only all- purpose.
Make sure you spread the focaccia quite thinly in the pan or it will get too thick.
It takes a little over 3 hours from start to finish, so you can make the dough in the morning and it will be ready by lunchtime.
If you have never tried focaccia I have to warn you..it is quite addictive! It will be very hard to stop at just one slice.
♥ Let’s keep in touch! ♥ Follow Chilly Frosting on :
- 240 ml (1 cup) water, lukewarm
- 4 grams (1¼ teaspoon) dry yeast
- 175 grams (1½ cup minus ½ tablespoon) all-purpose flour
- 175 grams (1¼ cup) durum wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil + 1½ tablespoon for brushing the focaccia and greasing the pan and bowl
- 9 grams (1/2 tablespoon) salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 20 cherry tomatoes
- 10 green olives
- Dissolve the dry yeast in the lukewarm water.
- Put the flour in the bowl of your stand mixer. Add the water and sugar.
- Start mixing and when the water is absorbed add 3 tablespoons of olive oil and salt. Knead until you obtain a soft dough, a little bit sticky.
- Make a ball, put it in a bowl oiled with olive oil and cover with plastic wrap. Leave it to rise in a warm place for about 2 hours.
- Place the halved cherry tomatoes in a bowl with 1 pinch of salt, half tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and ½ teaspoon of oregano
- When the dough is ready, place it in an oiled pan (27 cm/10 inches) squashing it with your fingertips to create lots of little holes.
- Place the halved cherry tomatoes and olives on top, pushing them into the dough.
- Brush it with olive oil, cover it and leave it to rise for half an hour.
- Sprinkle with salt and oregano
- and bake at 180 degrees C (350 degrees F) for 20/25 minutes.