This was actually the first time I’ve ever eaten quinoa. I’ve been intrigued by quinoa for a long time so I finally decided to give it a try.
This delicious, colorful quinoa avocado pomegranate grilled chicken salad is loaded with superfoods, which is perfect after all the rich Christmas food and cookies I have been eating.
It combines healthy and flavorful ingredients in a light-yet-filling meal.
Quinoa is a gluten-free whole grain with a slightly nutty flavor. It’s a complete protein source, rich in dietary fibers, low in fat. It also contains iron, calcium, folic acid, magnesium, manganese and copper.
Pomegranate is high in antioxidants, vitamins A and C and fiber.
Avocados are a good source of fiber, potassium, and vitamins C, K, folate and B6.
The lemon dressing is super easy to make. I took the recipe from Jamie Oliver’s book “Ministry of Food“. It’s made in a jar, this way you can shake it up easily and keep any leftover in the jar in the fridge.
This quinoa avocado pomegranate grilled chicken salad is a bowl of goodness, you simply have to love it!
I am thinking a quinoa dessert recipe should be next on my list.
♥ Let’s keep in touch! ♥ Follow Chilly Frosting on :
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) quinoa
- 200 ml (3/4 cup+1 tablespoon) water
- 150 grams (5.3 ounces) chicken breast, skinless
- 1 pomegranate, arils only
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and cubed
- 100 grams (2 cups) romaine lettuce, washed and chopped
- For the lemon dressing:
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- the juice of ½ lemon
- a pinch of sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a strainer,rinse the quinoa well and drain. In a small saucepan, combine the quinoa with water.
- Bring to a boil uncovered.
- When it starts to boil, cover, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes or until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is light and fluffy.
- While the quinoa is simmering away, place the chicken breast on a ridged grill pan on medium-high heat. Grill, turning once, until cooked through, about 7 minutes per side.
- When the chicken is cool to handle, cut in medium cubes or slice into strips and set aside.
- Wash and chop the romaine lettuce, deseed the pomegranate, cut the avocado into cubes.
- Prepare the dressing.
- Take a small glass jar with lid and shake all ingredients until well-blended.
- When the quinoa is ready and has cooled down enough, combine the lettuce, avocado, pomegranate and grilled chicken breast in a large bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the quinoa avocado pomegranate grilled chicken salad and toss to combine.