To prepare diplomat cream you have to combine 1/3 whipped cream with 2/3 pastry cream.
It can be served on its own or used to fill cakes and pastries.
In Italy diplomat cream is mistakenly called “Chantilly”. Chantilly is simply heavy cream whipped to soft peaks and flavored with sugar and vanilla.
♥ Let’s keep in touch! ♥ Follow Chilly Frosting on :
- 2 egg yolks
- 60 grams (1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon) granulated sugar
- 25 grams (2½ tablespoons) flour, sifted
- 250 ml (1 cup) milk (I used skimmed milk)
- ½ vanilla bean, split and seeded
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) whipping cream
- 20 grams (2 tablespoons) icing sugar
- In a medium bowl, beat together the egg yolks and sugar until pale.
- Add the flour and continue beating until well combined.
- Meanwhile, put the milk in a saucepan with the vanilla bean and seeds and bring it just to the boil.
- Remove the pan from heat and discard the vanilla bean.
- Gradually pour the vanilla infused milk into the egg mixture, whisking to combine well.
- Put it back in the pan and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the cream has reached the desired density.
- Pour into a bowl and cover the surface with plastic wrap to prevent a crust from forming.
- Let it cool at room temperature.
- Using an electric mixer, whip the whipping cream and icing sugar until it forms soft peaks.
- Fold the whipped cream into the chilled pastry cream.